Our new Pro-160 has been designed from the ground up to give the wide range of features you’ve been asking us for. The design brief was for a full H-bridge programmable controller to do away with reversing relays for long term reliability, you wanted full control over the motor current in both drive and regen modes, and you also asked for lots of inputs for radio control, temperature and speed sensors, dead mans handles, limit switches etc. You wanted a display to show voltage, current, and temperature so we gave it one that can also be taken off and mounted conveniently. Oh, and you also wanted it to be the same size and shape as the Pro-150 but with much better current and voltage ratings.
Think it’s safe to say mission accomplished!
We’ve kept the 4QD trademark of super smooth and progressive power, and the built-in keypad means it’s easy to adjust between steady or very dynamic operation.
The standard version is ideally suited for motors up to around 2kW and the high current version up to 3kW.
The key features are:
- 2 line LCD display makes this not just a controller, it’s a full information system for your installation, see:
- Battery voltage
- Motor and battery current [you’ll be surprised how different they can be!]
- Controller temperature, [+2 external temperatures with optional extra sensors] .
- Throttle position.
- Can be mounted conveniently to provide information to the driver.
- Built in radio control input with battery eliminator circuit [BEC].
- Easily adjustable control over many features including:
- Acceleration and deceleration.
- Maximum speed.
- Maximum drive current.
- Regenerative braking current [variable “on the fly” in 2.3.4].
- Dynamic braking in joystick mode – pull back to brake [in 2.3.3].
- Low voltage alert and “limp home mode” to protect expensive lithium batteries.
- Deadmans handle input [push to go or push to stop].
- A single switch to toggle between any 2 profiles e.g. RC and hand control, or fast and slow. Ideal for training new drivers.
- 15 profiles for storing different configurations, 1st 9 pre-programmed for the most common applications.
- Top speed limiting [requires external sensor].
- Overheat warning and cut-out , also overheat warning for 2 motors with extra sensors.
- 12V to 84V without adjustment, * depends on version.
- Peak current 200A, * depends on version and heatsink [not enough? our Pro-360 can handle 360A].
- Input learning feature allows:
- Single ended or joystick [wig-wag] operation.
- Fine tuning of pot or RC stick positions.
- Voltage control.
- Safety contactor driver.
- Parking brake driver for vehicle applications.
- Other inputs:
- Emergency stop.
- 2 x limit switches.
- Speed sensor.
- Software updates via uSD card [coming soon are mapped throttle curves, current control mode, closed loop RPM control, and others].
- Optional communications board to support daisy chaining / double heading of multiple units [coming soon].
- Based on a specialised Infineon microprocessor with deadtime control to prevent shoot through mosfet failures.
The Pro-160 can be built in a variety of specifications to give exactly what you want;
- Voltage – the standard specification is 12V – 48V, but by fitting uprated mosfets and capacitors the upper voltage can be raised to 84V.
- Current – the standard versions can handle up to 140A, but the high current versions will support up to 200A. As with all controllers the time these ratings can be supported depends on the cooling provided.
- Display / keypad – the standard Pro-160 has a 2 line backlit LCD display and a keypad built into the front of the case. The display can be detached and mounted remotely, either on its own or on an optional adaptor board that has its own keypad.
- Case – the standard case is black HIPS [high impact polystyrene] with a built in keypad and display window. There are also transparent perspex versions without the keypad in different colours.
- Heatsink – the standard heatsink is suitable for many applications, for higher loads we will have enhanced air cooled heatsinks available soon.
Simple to fit
The Pro-160 has all the essential control inputs on one 6-way connector. Here’s a video showing how to install one.
The full instruction manual is on the support tab.
The microprocessor monitors the controller and parts of the external system. Should a fault be detected, the processor will shut down the controller and display an indication of the fault. If a safety contactor is incorporated, the power stage can be disconnected to protect against run away failures.
With a range of voltage, current, display, case, and cooling options the Pro-160 is ideal for use in model locos, golf buggies, and industrial applications. It has a high degree of configurability but can still be used as a simple controller right out of the box. In terms of our existing products it has a feature set that is much greater than the Pro-150, a current rating near that of the 4QD-200, and a voltage range way beyond anything else.
We’re working hard on the next release of software for the Pro-160, new features we’re working on include;
- Mapped throttle.
- RPM control mode with PDI loop control.
- Comms board for double heading / MU.
- Display power [watts].
- Display speed [mph].
- Test mode.
The manual provides full instructions on setting up and operating the controller.