Our new Pro-160 has been designed from the ground up to give a wide range of features and capabilities. It has a unique detachable display that allows you to really understand what your motor and battery are doing. We’ve kept it the same size and shape as the Pro-150 but have pushed the current and voltage ratings way up. The design brief was for a full H-bridge controller so we could do away with reversing relays for long term reliability, we wanted full control over the motor current in both drive and regen modes, and we also wanted lots of inputs for radio control, temperature and speed sensors, dead mans handles, limit switches etc. Think it’s safe to say mission accomplished!
We’ve kept the 4QD trademark of super smooth and progressive power, and the built-in keypad means it’s easy to adjust between steady or very dynamic operation.
The standard version is ideally suited for motors up to around 2kW and the high current version up to 3kW.
The key features are:
- Built in radio control input with battery eliminator circuit [BEC].
- Easily adjustable control over many features including:
- Acceleration and deceleration.
- Maximum speed.
- Maximum drive current.
- Regenerative braking current.
- Low voltage alert and “limp home mode” to protect batteries.
- 2 line display showing:
- Battery voltage
- Motor and battery current [bet you’ve never seen how different they can be!]
- Controller temperature, [motor and battery temperature available soon with extra sensors] .
- Throttle position.
- Can be mounted conveniently to provide information to the driver.
- Deadmans handle input.
- Emergency stop input.
- 15 profiles for storing different configurations, 1st 9 pre-programmed for the most common applications.
- Alternate profile input can quickly switch between any 2 profiles e.g. RC and pot, or fast and slow. Ideal for training new drivers.
- Software updates via uSD card [coming soon are mapped throttle curves, current control mode, closed loop RPM control, and others].
- Thermal overload protection.
- 12V to 84V without adjustment, * depends on version.
- Peak current 200A, * depends on version and heatsink.
- Input learning feature allows:
- Single ended or joystick [wig-wag] operation.
- Fine tuning of pot or RC stick positions.
- Voltage control.
- Based on a specialised Infineon microprocessor with deadtime control to prevent shoot through mosfet failures.
- Safety contactor driver.
- Parking brake driver for vehicle applications.
- Other inputs:
- 2 x limit switches.
- 2 x thermistor inputs for monitoring battery and motor temperature.
- Speed sensor.
- 2 x spare.
- Optional communications board to support daisy chaining / double heading of multiple units [coming soon].
The Pro-160 can be built in a variety of specifications to give exactly what you want;
- Voltage – the standard specification is 12V – 48V, but by fitting uprated mosfets and capacitors the upper voltage can be raised to 84V.
- Current – the standard versions can handle up to 140A, but the high current versions will support up to 200A. As with all controllers the time these ratings can be supported depends on the cooling provided.
- Display / keypad – the standard Pro-160 has a 2 line backlit LCD display and a keypad built into the front of the case. The display can be detached and mounted remotely, either on its own or on an optional adaptor board that has its own keypad.
- Case – the standard case is black HIPS [high impact polystyrene] with a built in keypad and display window. There are also transparent perspex versions without the keypad in different colours.
- Heatsink – the standard heatsink is suitable for many applications, for higher loads we will have enhanced air cooled heatsinks available soon.
Simple to fit
The Pro-160 follows the same basic wiring scheme as the Pro-150 with all the essential inputs on one 6-way connector. See the support tab for the instruction manual and wiring diagrams.
The microprocessor monitors the controller and parts of the external system. Should a fault be detected, the processor will shut down the controller and display an indication of the fault. If a safety contactor is incorporated, the power stage can be disconnected to protect against run away failures.
With a range of voltage, current, display, case, and cooling options the Pro-160 is ideal for use in model locos, golf buggies, and industrial applications. It has a high degree of configurability but can still be used as a simple controller right out of the box. In terms of our existing products it has a feature set that is much greater than the Pro-150, a current rating near that of the 4QD-200, and a voltage range way beyond anything else.